Saturday, January 16, 2010

A tale of three cheerleaders...

This is my friend Sara. Remember her?

I know...you probably didn't recognize her without the headlamp (ha!). Sara is my "oldest" friend (the one who makes fabulous chicken noodle soup). Sara's always done a good job of watching out for me. She used to bring deodorant to ballet class and cheerleading practice to share with me...because I usually forgot mine. Without her, I would have been one stinky girl! Sara and I were thick as thieves, as they say. We cheered and danced and were generally happy high schoolers.

And then in ninth grade, a new girl arrived at our high school.

A cute, perky girl with mad cheerleading skills. Let's just say that we weren't thrilled to welcome the new, perky cheerleader into our world (think Bring It On: The Blondes vs. the Brunette). But eventually (two years later) we warmed up to the Perky Cheerleader (a.k.a. Sheila) and we became quite a little threesome. Now that we're much more mature (and our mad cheerleading skills are long gone...along with our mad cheerleading bodies, but that's another story) we are best friends. See?
(yes...my shirt is tucked into my pants in that photo. Lovely, huh?). Anyway...Sara is about to have a baby any minute (just in case you couldn't tell from the pictures...hehehehe!) and since we can't do any of our old cheerleading moves (for fear of hurting that precious baby, of course...not because we can barely bend over and touch our toes these days) Sheila and I decided to have a little informal luncheon to welcome Baby #2. We know that baby showers aren't typical for Baby #2, but we wanted to celebrate this little bambino (and have an excuse to eat cake). Speaking of the cake...there was a little mishap. See?
Somebody (and I'm not naming names here....ED ED ED) put his elbow on the cake box and smashed it. But we looked past the crumpled exterior to the delicious, carb-filled inside.

There was mingling and scrapbook viewing and eating...


There was some laughter and a few discussions about exactly what kind of bambino is in that belly (odds are being placed on a teenie, tiny girl in there).
And hence...Sara got a few pink, girly items - just in case!

Ellie met a new friend and was thrilled to have big girls to play with.

And we decided that we could rub this little girl's fluffy head all day long. Isn't she the cutest???
Kate was thrilled when Shawn arrived. It's not easy to find common interests between a three-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy, but they did it!
And as I was going through all of the party photos, I noticed a theme. The perky girl with mad cheerleading skills is also a hard worker. In every photo, she's cutting cake or making punch or serving food. And me? Well...there are a lot of photos of me doing this:


My pappy didn't nickname me "Motor Mouth" for nothing!

I'm so happy that in the middle of our crazy, busy lives, we could take a minute to slow down, celebrate, and eat cake! I'm even happier that three old school cheerleaders formed a friendship that is still going strong today. I love you, girls, and Sara...I can't wait to meet that little one! If it's a girl, we'll have to start practicing our toe touches and hirkies so we can teach her someday (but let's not allow Sheila to teach her the chicken move, okay)?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding people that I was the one with the Headlamp! I like this pic better:)
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you for a lovely day of rest and relaxation. It was the best therapy for an expecting mom of her second baby. It made me excited all over again for a new little one and made me appreciate the people that God has put in my life. You and Sheila are the sisters I never had and always wanted! Thanks for making this mom feel special and loved.
    I love you both:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails