Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just Call Me Super Mom

A few weeks ago I took the girls to play at the YMCA. While we were there, Ellie fell and got a very bloody lip. Because I’m a calm, been-around-the-block-and-can-handle-anything kind of mom (humor me, okay?) I didn’t panic. I just calmly got out the wipes and took care of her until the bleeding stopped. Then I sent her back with the big kids to play. It was a good day. As we were leaving the building, I was feeling a little like “Super Mom.” I put my sunglasses on, threw the diaper bag over my shoulder, grabbed each girl by the hand and headed out the door with my shoulders back and my head held high.

At the same time, an older lady (60ish, grandmotherly) left the building and started walking with us. She looked at me and said, “Oh honey…having two little ones is hard work, isn’t it?” I smiled and politely said, “Yeah, I guess…but it’s also a lot of fun.” I was still feeling like Super Mom and parenting didn’t seem like hard work that day. But the lady went on and on about how I really need to enjoy this time in my life and how quickly it will fly by and how much she misses these days. When she left she told me that she knows it is so hard, but that I will look back and really miss these days and someday I’ll laugh about the craziness of it all.

I couldn’t figure out why she was talking to me like she felt sorry for me…like I wasn’t having a blast being a mom to these two sweet little girls. We parted ways at our cars, and I loaded Ellie into her carseat. When I started putting Kate in her carseat, she said “Mommy, what happened to your eye?” I calmly told her that my eye was fine and that nothing happened to it. And then Kate said, “But mommy, your eye falled out.” I reached up to my sunglasses and this is what I found…

Yeah…just call me Super Mom. And no…I had no idea they were broken or that one eye was a little “sunnier” than the other. That woman was right about one thing…I will definitely look back and laugh about the craziness of it all!

7 comments:

  1. OH MY!!! I am laughing so hard right now!!! That is so, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing so bad that I am crying:) You go Super Mom! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious!! I cannot stop laughing...you're too funny Holly!

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just too funny! I love the fact that you had no clue about the glasses till your kids pointed it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh out loud! I could have been the 60 type person, but I would have laughed and pointed out the lost lens! Now, that would have been humiliating for BOTH!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails