Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Mudder's Day...

On Sunday, our home was filled with tiny little hands bearing gifts, home made cards to be treasured, and an original "Stevemark" (as opposed to Hallmark) poem that made me laugh. I had an awesome mother's day weekend, complete with Duncan Donuts, chocolate marshmallow stuffed croissants, stir fry, and fillet mignon (because my husband knows that food = happiness to me). The first thing I heard when I woke up (after sleeping in later than everyone else...because my husband also knows that sleeping in comes in a close second behind food on my happiness scale) was the sound of two little girls shouting "Happy Mudder's Day" as I walked into the kitchen. And the last thing I heard from one tiny little red-headed two-year old that night was, "Happy Mudder's Day...I lub you, Mama."

I think I enjoyed this Mother's Day more than any before it. I hope I will always remember what an amazing blessing it is to be called Mom (or Mama, as Ellie prefers). Sure, I deserve to be celebrated (so bring on the donuts and the poems and the fillet mignon). But on Mother's Day, I think we should also celebrate the gift that we have been given- the chance to share our life with our sweet kids. It is a dream that many women are still praying for, still hoping for. This weekend, I prayed for all of those women who are still waiting for the day when they will walk into the kitchen amid shouts of "Happy Mudder's Day," and "I lub you, Mama." May their prayers be answered as graciously as mine have, and may they know the joy that comes with motherhood.

Kate was so excited about these "special seeds." She told me last week that they planted special seeds for mother's day but that it was a surprise. Then she looked at me and said, "Shhh...don't tell anyone, okay?" It was our little secret!
For those of you who don't know, Steve loves to buy cards...lots of cards. Everyone gets at least two Hallmark cards from Steve on their birthday. I'm not a huge card fan - I prefer handwritten notes and funny poems. So this year, I got a "Stevemark" original...much better than a Hallmark card in my book!

Love this picture of me. Must talk to my hair stylist about the strange yellow and brown striped hair. Oh...and I wanted to note that I am NOT the same age as daddy - I am 5 years younger than daddy. Just sayin'.
This is Ellie's sweet card for me. I can't imagine how they got her to hold her hands still long enough to make it, but I suspect it took extra helpers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a sweet day! I love your cards! You're going to be so glad you blogged about Mudders Day 20 years from now!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails