In the years since my high school graduation, I have grown in many, many ways (though, unfortunately, my bra size has remained the same. Thankfully, my feet are making up for it, as they have expanded one whole size since my high school days). Despite my growth (or lack thereof), I was still nervous about attending my reunion.
I think that big events like a class reunion (or birthdays that end with a zero) force us to rethink our lives. Of course I took stock of the last 15 years, and I was nervous that maybe I wouldn’t measure up. I bought three dresses, tried them all on (separately, of course) and forced Steve to take pictures of me so I could objectively choose the one I looked best in. I bought some “bra-fillers” (aka, fake boobs) from Walmart, and I felt bad that I wasn’t a published author or famous photographer.
But here’s the thing I have learned through this experience (very important…pay attention): Sometimes we’re too busy thinking about ourselves (as in…what will people think of me and my accomplishments, will they be impressed by me, will they think I have small boobs and big feet, etc.). It’s not about that at all.
Life is about accepting ourselves and our weaknesses (even laughing about them) and still loving who we are. Life is about being ourselves and being happy with that.
And you know what? Class of 1994…we didn’t turn out too bad. We’re proud of our beer bellies and sexy bald heads. We can laugh about our bra fillers and our crazy jobs (one person examines prostates for a living…I bet she didn’t dream of that back in 1994, but you go girl)! I found another Edward Cullen Fan (hey Melissa…I have something special coming to a mailbox near you soon)! Some of us danced in front of our classmates, not worrying about who was watching or what they thought of us…because we’re happy and we’re blessed and God has been good to us.
We showed pictures of our kids and some of us discussed plans to adopt. We talked about our jobs and our dreams. One guy told me he was an aspiring musician who was passionate about music…a guy who was formerly a football player and class clown, with no interest in band or choir. How cool is it that he found his passion? Another friend from elementary school is a police officer (she's tiny and cute and we used to watch Friday the 13th together and now she chases bad guys for a living).
I have decided that it’s okay that I haven’t “arrived” yet. And maybe I never will arrive, if by arriving I mean publish a book or tell my story to Oprah (though I think it’s okay to still pray for those things). But I’ll keep writing, keep praying, keep loving my family and my friends. I’ll laugh and dance and thank God for my blessings every day.
I’m grateful that my 15-year reunion rolled around…giving me time to reflect and to catch up with friends. I had a blast!









No comments:
Post a Comment