Thursday, December 10, 2009

Soups on...

My friend Sara is my oldest friend. Well, not technically the "oldest" as in, over the hill, older than dirt, oldest (she would quickly point out that I'm actually 4 months older than her...which was cool when I was turning 16 - not so cool now that I'm in my 30's). What I meant is that she is the friend I've known the longest...since birth (her birth, since I made my debut in the world 4 months before her). Anyway...long story short: Sara wanted to teach me to make homemade, delicious, impress your in-laws chicken noodle soup today. She told me what to buy and promised to come help (and bring a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing for my birthday). Nice, huh? Except I have a cold and Ellie has a cold and Kate has a cold = lots of snot in this household. So Sara dropped off the recipe (and the cake) for me to make on my own and enjoy for dinner (with my sick and snot-filled family), thus saving her from catching our germs. Smart girl. And guess what? I felt like Betty Crocker. If only I had an apron. Check it out.

This is the biggest pot of soup ever. We ate some, put some in the fridge for tomorrow night, and froze some. Here's Sara's fabulous recipe. Try it...you can impress your in-laws and feel like Betty Crocker (Apron, optional).

Sara's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts
celery, chopped (use as much as you want)
1 onion, chopped
1 bag baby carrots, chopped
1 box linguini noodles (or any kind of noodles)
2 packets of chicken bouillion seasoning (or more or less, as you like)
3 containers of chicken broth (I used the cardboard containers)

Directions:

1. Put chicken breasts in big pot and cover with water and boil until cooked
2. Boil noodles in separate pot according to package.
3. Remove chicken from pot to cool and keep the broth in the pot.
4. Add enough chicken broth from the containers to broth already in pot to fill to 2/3 full
(I used all three containers).
5. Add onions, carrots and celery to broth. Bring to a boil and then add the bouillion.
6. Tear or chop up chicken and add to pot.
7. Drain noodles and add to pot.
8. Reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes.
9. EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails