Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Summer Send-Off: Tomatos vs. Peppers
Remember my tomato plantlings? The ones that were squeezed into pots with the pepper plants (just like I was squeezed into a tiny dorm room with a strange roommate and her beer-drinking, boxer-short-wearing, 20-something boyfriend)? Is it all coming back to you yet? Well, I wanted to let you know that my sweet tomato plantlings refused to be pushed aside by those pesky peppers (wish I could say the same about myself, but I only lasted one semester with that dreadful roommate before I ran to a new room as fast as my short, little legs would carry me). But not my tomato plantlings. Oh no. They're tough and they held their own, producing just enough fruit to keep bruchetta, BLTs, and Steve's special tomato pasta on our menu all summer long. And while the experiment was a success, I think we'll make plans to plant a real garden next summer. Because even hardy tomato plantlings deserve some space, don't you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment