I love Thanksgiving, because it's such a stress-free holiday. It's definitely among my top three! I just have to show up and eat...and I do love to eat! But I suspect that it's not quite so simple for all of you who have to cook (like my mom). So for the past two years, the girls and I have arrived at Grammy Linda's house promptly at 9 a.m. (I mean, just before 11 a.m.- did I mention that I'm always late?) the day before Thanksgiving to help with the prep work. We bake gingerbread and shred cabbage and we cheer on my mom as she sews up the hogmaw (yuck...I know. I don't eat it - it's pig's stomach stuffed with cabbage and sausage and potatoes). My mom feels that it is very important for me to know how to make it so when she's old and decrepit and can't cook during the holidays, I will have no excuse for not having it on the Thanksgiving menu. I was planning to replace it promptly with mac 'n cheese when I took over the Thanksgiving duties, but I guess it's the least I can do for her! I love getting ready for the holidays and smelling the delicious foods and just being a part of the hustle and bustle. The day before Thanksgiving is quickly becoming one of my favorites of the year.
Kate helped to make the gingerbread and yes...she is wearing a Dorothy costume from the Wizard of Oz. It's all the rage these days among the preschool crowd and since I got for $2 at Walmart, she can wear it whenever she wants!
That slimy thing in the bowl is the hogmaw and yes, she is holding a needle and thread (you thought I was joking about sewing up a pig's stomach, didn't you?). See that pepper container? That was my job. I was the designated pepper shaker this year. Ha...that's about the extent of my cooking skills.
This is one of three desserts for Thanksgiving. It will be joined by Apple Pie and Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce. Oh...and lots of Ice Cream. I capitalized them because we all know they are the most important parts of the meal.
I didn't want you to think we were all "Martha Stewart" or anything. We bake from a box in this family!
Ellie enjoyed the day in front of the TV, watching non-stop Dora and Diego. She was such a big help...heheh. But isn't she adorable?
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment