"Look, Mom...Jessica wrote me a note that says I love you." (and she even turned all the o's into peace signs).
"Mom, did you know that Jessica can spell a lot of words?"
"Mom, today Jessica showed me how she can tie her own shoes!" (said with a look of awe and amazement).
Kate isn't envious of Jessica. She doesn't feel the need to keep up with her or compete with her. But Kate's mom (aka: Me) has a very competitive side. The day after the "I Love You" note, I decided that Kate needed to learn to spell those words. The day after the "shoe tieing" comment, I told Steve that maybe (hint, hint, elbow nudge) it was time for him to teach Kate to tie her shoes.
I'm a worrier, by nature, and I have spent a lot of time lately worrying about my ability to teach the girls. I'm not the elementary teacher type. I don't have a background in reading or math. I majored in communication. I have a master's degree in media studies. If you want someone to write a newspaper article or analyze some advertising or edit a magazine...I'm your girl. But teaching a small child how to read...now that overwhelms me just a bit! To make matters more complicated, Jessica's mom is a teacher, and so, my self-esteem suffers when I hear about all of Jessica's accomplishments. I wonder if I'm a good parent, if I'm doing a good job of preparing Kate for Kindergarten.
Earlier this week, Kate came home with the usual stack of papers. As I was browsing through them, I held up this great picture of a perfectly shaped heart and asked, "Kate, did you make this awesome heart?"

She casually replied, "No, that's the heart that Jessica made...I made the other one." And my heart sank just a little when I saw Kate's lopsided, squishy heart. I made a mental note to work with her on drawing shapes.

And then my sweet girl looked at me with her big blue eyes, smiled the biggest smile and said, "Yeah...that one's mine. I put Jesus in my heart. Do you like it?"

She still doesn't write I Love You.
She doesn't draw peace signs (or know what they are, for that matter).
She hasn't tied her own shoe yet.
And her heart shapes are lopsided.
But my girl has Jesus in her heart and she's not afraid to tell the world. I picked her up and jumped up and down and said, "I love it, I love it, I love it...it's the most beautiful heart I've ever seen." And she just giggled her silly little laugh and ran off to play.
It was just what I needed - a sign that I'm doing okay...that my girl is going to be just fine!

You are the most fabulous MOM! Your girls are fortunate to have someone to as special as you. You are a great listener, problem solver, cook, crafter, and TEACHER! You teach your girls everyday and it is evident that they are learning great and wonderful things! Sara
ReplyDeleteYOU don't have to teach them to read...that's why they go to school. In Scandinavian countries, children don't even start to learn to read until they are 6. By HS they are WAYYY beyond American children in almost all subjects. We push too hard too early and kids burn out. Don't push her, let her grow in her own time. All you need to do is LOVE her. My youngest didn't know all of her alphabet coming out of Kindergarten and now at the end of first grade she has read over 40 books on her own this school year. It happens when it is supposed to. Honestly, no one knows exactly what triggers a child to read. But being exposed to readers and being surrounded by books is what they need for it to happen. You are doing it all the way you are supposed to! Take them to the library this summer. {{{hugs}}} you are a wonderful mom!!!
ReplyDeleteTHAT is what matters! I often worry about my kids not being able to do what "other kids" do, but you know what? They do what they love, and all of the other things come in time.
ReplyDeleteI like Kate's heart much better!
I love Kate's heart too. And you're right, you worry too much...but there's no need to. Kate is amazing, just like her mamma!
ReplyDelete~Sheila