Thursday, July 14, 2011

In the Moment...

In the midst of my journey through infertility, I joined a support group. No, we did not pass candles down the row and say, "Hi, I'm Holly and I'm infertile." We listened to each other and we talked about our frustrations. We laughed and we cried. We learned to "breath" (both literally and figuratively) through some very sad times, and we celebrated, as one by one, we all became mothers. There is one session from that support group that I remember so clearly. We were all given an M&M. A single, tiny M&M. And we were told to really enjoy the experience of eating one M&M. We were to think about the texture, the taste, the smell, the way it melted, the way it made our mouths feel. I have eaten a million M&Ms (and no, I don't think that's a hyperbole), but I will always remember that one M&M. We live in a society where we shove ten M&Ms in our mouth at one time and never really stop to taste them. That one M&M was a lesson in being present, living in the moment, without thinking about tomorrow or next year...without worrying about what our futures will bring (or not bring). It was a lesson that I desperately needed at that time in my life (and many times since then).

This week's KinderGarden assignment took me right back to that M&M experience. We were to zoom in on the garden, really check it out. And I had the chance to "see" the garden, beyond the growth and the weeds and the tomato stakes, without worrying and speculating and comparing. I just zoomed in and took a minute to "see" the garden, to live in the moment. What a gift. I hope I can find a way to share that perspective with my girls, to help them really "see," and to be present in the moment.









If you're a KinderGarden Reader, I missed the link-up last week. But, lucky for you, you can still read my gardening recap, titled "On Melons and Barbie (but not Barbie's Melons)."
I know you're curious!

To all other readers: Take a minute to check out KinderGardens Week 11 Here!

14 comments:

  1. striped cucumber beetle in the zucchini flower! kill it! kill it! and all of its brothers and sisters. spare them no mercy. check the flowers and the bottom of the vine, too, right next to the soil. and if any spotted cousins show up, kill them too!!!

    and love love love the M&M story. too true. life is so much more rewarding when we stop and savor the everyday moments. too bad i don't remember that much of the time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...I thought it was just a cute little bug. So much for being present in the moment! I just ran outside and found the beetle, his friends, and his spotted cousins. Ughhh...what do I do to get rid of them? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THAT"S a striped cucumber beetle! He looks so innocent walking down the hallway of your cucumber flower! I was wondering who had munched it and was going to give him credit for eating whatever did the desecration, but it was not to be.
    Love your photos and your perspective. Your zucchini photo is WAY cooler than mine!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good question.

    if you don't care much about the organic/non-organic thing, go get a good bug spray and have at them. i wanted to do that last year, but we had honey bees in the same flowers, so i didn't spray...and consequently lost our gourds and pumpkins. :(

    as for organic remedies, i'm still working on that one. i've mostly just been hand-picking and squishing, but they're speedy little buggers. i just went out tonight and sprayed my vulnerable plants with tabasco sauce and garlic, mixed with water and dish detergent. will let you know if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how funny that you also posted pictures of those crazy looking tendrils. I love taking close up of those...just because they look cool. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know what might be lurking around the garden...Barbie crotches, beetles and small melons, oh my! I can't blame the little critters for hanging around...with all the love your garden gets, I might just plop myself down in the middle and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm giggling at Kirsten's outburst. But only because I haven't witnessed cucumber beetle devastation like that (yet). Now if you had posted a photo with a cabbage butterfly caterpillar... I would have jumped up and down and shrieked too.

    My fav photo is the bean blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful M&M story, thank you for sharing your heart! I love the pics, aren't the tendrils amazing? They are SO strong too. I've had to re-train a few crazy pumpkin vines. Learn something new, now I'm running out to check my squash. We started the battle of Japanese beetles here. My MIL used to just hit it all with Sevin (blush), but I'm trying the crushing the life outta them route first and only maybe spraying ornamental stuff if they get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, LOVE the M&M story. I have not experienced infertility but have experienced great loss and you are so right about living in the moment and savoring each tiny morsel life gives us.

    OK...never have seen a cucumber beetle before but by Kristen's reaction I will most certainly be on the lookout and will destroy any I see, she seems to have a deep abiding dislike for the little buggers!

    I did find a recipe for a concoction that is supposed to kill them (from Sharon Lovejoy our KinderGARDENS judge)

    Mix 1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
    1/8 tsp liquid soap
    Shake it put it in spray bottle and spray the pests (test plant first)

    I would pick a favorite photo but frankly they are all too good to possibly pick just one! Great post...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. tabasco isn't working very well yet... :(

    be sure to try the concoction kim mentions on a leaf or two first...i tried it on some lettuce and peas and just about killed the plants. oops. maybe it is different on vines, or maybe i mixed it up wrong, or something...?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have gotten a few tiny garlics, basil leaves and lettuce but nothing else. I think we will have a ton of cucumbers soon enough. We all need to wait and I bet we will be up to our armpits in dill pickles and relish soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful m&m story, i felt the same way about imparting these lessons to my children :) beautiful pics, you really got right IN there, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so many things to learn with KinderGardens! I thought your bug was pretty, too! But I've never had anything attack my vine-y plants and have not learned to be protective of them!

    Lovely photos. Great M&M story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails