Friday, July 1, 2011

Through the eyes of a child...

My assignment this week for KinderGardens was to hand the camera to my girls and tell them to take pictures of their favorite parts of our "farmstead." I took a few days to figure out how to handle this one, as I wasn't thrilled with the idea of handing my new Nikon D90 to a five-year-old. But in the end, I strapped the camera around her neck, made her promise to be extra, super dooper careful (I'm sure you can picture my stearnest, threatening look as I handed over the camera), and told her to go to it. Kate was thrilled, snapping pictures of her very favorite things (which is pretty much everything in our teenie, tiny garden). But as she snapped the pictures (and I kept my hand just inches from the D90), we had a chance to talk about what she liked most about each plant.

She loves the colorful strawberries (which are being eaten by the resident "mama bird" before I can pick them).

She is thrilled with the delicate yellow flowers on the melon plants.

She thinks that the carrot tops are "awesome and fluffy."

She loves the broccoli and wonders why it has holes all through it (bugs? birds? bunnies?).

She is excited that we finally have some small, green tomatos!

And she wanted the world to know that our sunflowers are making a comeback (thanks to my vigilant bird chasing).


This was a fun "assignment." I loved seeing the garden through Kate's eyes, and I was super impressed with her photography skills. She even turned the camera vertical to take a few pictures! Half of the adult population forgets that their camera can be turned!

Ellie also snapped a few pictures, but they were blurry (mostly because I kept grabbing the camera from her in an effort to protect it from becoming one with the garden)!

Mostly, we're just anxiously awaiting the arrival of some real, live veggies! Oh...and Steve wanted me to show you his masterpiece.

While none of it is from our garden, we are dreaming of the day when our kabobs feature our home-grown delicacies!

Don't forget to check out this week's KinderGarden post for super cute ideas and garden tours!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, YUM! Yumyumyumyumyum. I'm coming over! ;)

    Kate did an awesome job - her pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those kabobs without veggies for me? You shouldn't have!

    Kate just might be your assistant before long. Don't you need a photography "monkey" to help you out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the holes on your broccoli are from bugs most definitely. turn them over and look underneath. you can spray safely with a mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap and water...or alcohol and water...good luck! we are being ravaged down here as well...veggies AND flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Those tomatoes will be red & ready for the grill in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I loved hearing her descriptions of what she likes about each plant. the holes in the broccoli leaves may be from flea beetles, we've had holes like that on our brassicas before. beautiful grill you had there, makes me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your narrative of her thoughts to go along with her pictures. I also cringed at the thought of handing over a big camera to one of my little people... but it was the right choice!

    Your strawberries are beautiful, even if the fruit are going to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your feelings over handing your camera over to a little one are justified. My 3 1/2 year old broke my glorified point and shoot. (I've been meaning to upgrade so this is a great excuse....and really I shouldn't have given him the camera......but he was extra whiney that morning and I was trying to pick enough strawberries to make jam.....)

    Anyway......your "teeny-tiny" garden is beautiful. Those kabobs look delicious. And this is so true: "Half of the adult population forgets that their camera can be turned!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails