Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fleeting


Today, there are fairies in my house, clip clopping in high-heeled shoes and pitter pattering on barefeet. Sweet, tiny little girls, playing dress up and make believe...giggling and talking about how they can fly. Today is not unusual, as fairies frequent this place quite often. But the minute I looked at this picture, I was reminded that this time is fleeting...that the fairies won't always giggle and clip clop and believe they can fly.

It's bittersweet, isn't it...watching your child grow? I remember crying when Kate was a week old and I noticed that her tiny, skinny newborn fingers had suddenly become plump and dimpled. They grow so very quickly. My babies are now toddlers, trading their bottles and swaddling blankets for fairy wings and princess skirts. They run through the house, dancing, twirling, and leaving fairy dust (or cracker crumbs) in their wake. And some days I pray for peace and quite. I long to read novels and eat dinner without anyone complaining (or mashing potatoes into her hair). The days can be long and my patience can sometimes be limited. But there is joy in this moment...this amazing time when my house is a castle and the fairies run rampant through it. I know it won't last long and that breaks my heart. What a blessing it is to share my life with the fairies...I wish it could last forever.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it a great time? Make believe and pretend play are so sweet to watch. They look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture! What a special memory!! I'm realizing lately too that time is just moving by so quickly, especially since Bryson starts kindergarten this fall!

    Heidi S.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails