When I opened my lovely little popcorn machine from Steve on Christmas day, I was thrilled beyond words. We waited until the kids were safely in bed (because making popcorn is serious adult business, I guess), we got out the popcorn kernals, plugged in the machine, and stared at each other, all giddy and such. You know what happened next, don't you? Scalding hot, unpopped kernals of corn came flying out of that machine all over the kitchen. Apparently, popcorn making is serious adult business and we forgot our safety goggles and teflon gloves. I can't believe how dangerous that machine was. We followed the directions to a T and we even tried it a second time, because we're crazy, I guess. Afterwards, I went on line to write a review of this ridiculously dangerous product and found that about a million other people beat me to it.
We returned the machine, but were left with a bottle of popcorn kernals just waiting for their chance to pop. I did a little internet research and found a fabulous thing...way better than a scary, 1980's popcorn maker. And I'm going to let you in on the secret...
Step 1: Get ye to the store and buy some popcorn, butter sticks, and brown paper lunch bags. Don't be fooled...I don't really use Orville Redenbacher's popcorn. Well, I did once, but then I bought the cheapo popcorn in a bag and just dumped it in this container for easier storage.Step 2: Measure 1/4 cup popcorn and dump it directly into the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag down three times and put it in the microwave with the folded side up (though I don't know if this matters). Microwave for 1 minute, 30 seconds (or so...depending on your microwave).
When the popcorn is done, take it out of the microwave and put the butter in for 20-30 seconds until melted.
Step 4: Dump popcorn in beautiful bowl (or not, that's up to you) and then dump melted, artery clogging butter all over it. Sprinkle heavily with salt (at least that's what we do) and ...
Step 5: Enjoy that old fashioned, popped in an air popper taste, which by the way, is so much better than the regular microwave popcorn that you buy at the store. P.S. Special money saving tip: you can reuse the brown lunch bag many, many times if you don't dump the butter and salt into it. We just dump our popcorn into a bowl, put the bag back in the cabinet and save it for another day.


We have a whirly pop...It is awesome!!! You make it on the stove. I even make homemade Kettle corn in there...it's a bit messy, but, good!! I had heard about doing popcorn in the micro this way but I have not tried it..now I will!!
ReplyDelete