Kate has been really good at memorizing her Bible verses from church lately. She usually knows each one before she walks out of the classroom and she repeats them randomly throughout the week. Last week, her verse was, "I listen carefully to what God is saying."
So the other night at prayer time, just after Kate thanked God for her pillows, blankets, butterflies, garden, sister, camera, friends, roly poly,and on and on and on (and I was almost completely tuned out), her voice got firm and serious and she said:
"And God, I've been listening carefully to what you are saying, but I don't think you're talking loud enough because I can't hear you down here." And then she looked at me and giggled.
Oh my goodness, I almost peed my pants.
How many times have I wanted God to just "talk" a little louder? Should I build this house? Should I take this job? Am I ready to have a baby? Why am I not getting pregnant? Why aren't you answering my prayers? Can I please get an epidural the next time around? How can I be a better mother? Should I quit my job? What teacher will be best for Kate? How can I teach Ellie to share more? Should we really buy a boat? Should we try for Baby #3? And my list of questions goes on and on and on. I want answers. I want real, live answers from the One who wrote the entire book of my life.
Sometimes, I just want Him to talk a little louder. I want to be able to say, "Ten four, I heard ya loud and clear...over and out, Good Buddy."
And so the other night I giggled with Kate, realizing that her five-year-old, little girl self isn't all that different from my thirty-five-year-old grown-up self...
We just want to "hear" Him, loud and clear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I hear ya! I guess one of the biggest lessons in life is learning to listen to Him even when we can't really hear Him. Just have faith that he hears you...one of my favorite songs is by Hilary Weeks called "He Hears Me." Listen to it here (if the link works). http://grooveshark.com/#/s/He+Hears+Me/2TFqCe?src=5
ReplyDelete~Sheila
I love this! I have been wishing I would receive a "burning bush" message that I could read loud and clear. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the sweet comments you left this morning! We do have a lot of fun in our garden - I sometimes wonder how much longer Kiddo will be interested, but we will just milk it for all it's worth while we can!
Hope you and your family have a wonderful summer out in the garden...can't wait to see your garden (and girls) grow! :)